Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Couples


I know a lot of couples...and now I'm part of a couple, which is something in itself. Lately, as anyone following this blog knows, I've been going to one wedding after another, so newlyweds are sticking out in my mind above all. But there are plenty of other couples in this world.

For instance, the couple-who-have-been-together-longer-than-the-S.O.-and-me-but-aren't-quite-ready-for-marriage-yet. Yesterday, I saw the Nice Guy for the first time since Campus Days, accompanied by his own young lady, La Chinoise. They got a firsthand look at the apartment, which he loved and more importantly she liked, and then I took them downtown for what was ultimately a riotous, delicious Tapas dinner with the S.O. It was nothing but enjoyable to see them bounce ideas off each other, casually slip body parts around each other, obviously know each other well enough to keep a superb conversational rhythm going between themselves and with us...and it's obvious they factor each other into their decisions. They're natural.

Then there's anniversary couples. The Earth Mother and the GameMaster celebrated their first last week, and in her words, "I can't believe it's been a whole year. Also, life is awesome." I know the marriage statistics these days, but I'd wager all my money they'll make it to the end. Having known them for ten of the twelve months of their married life, I have never seen them even slightly annoyed with each other, and I know that the honeymoon period is gone...they're two people my age with financial worries and new jobs and a small apartment. But again...they don't care. They love it and they love each other and we all can see it. They're going to make it.

Like Mommy and Daddy. Today is their...wait for it...31st. 31st. They are my great livign example of how couplehood is half affection and half work. Probably more than half-work. Over the years I have discovered what opposites they are in so many ways, but through difficulties and less-than-happy moments, they have stayed together. Through driving each other crazy, they stay together, and both of them have told me there's no one else they'd rather be with. When I see him holding her at the end of a long day when dinner's on the stove, or her giving an exasperated sigh when he cracks a joke, or them dancing together at a Rostan party, I can only wish that someday I'll be in those shoes.

And then there's all the couples who are celebrating today as, after two years, somebody in power finally figured out that Prop 8 was unconstitutional. I'm still not sure how I feel about gay marriage, having heard convincing arguments against it from gay clergy whom I deeply respect, but what I love about this decision is that it makes so many people happy who have made Mommy and Daddy's decision, made the Earth Mother and the GameMaster's decision, not to marry but to commit and work and love, to put someone else first and acknowledge that such a place will be first now and forever.

I take my couplehood one step at a time...Mommy and Daddy still leave me in awe...but it's great to take those steps with the S.O. Even if she did propose a new nickname for me last night which is too damned similar to that of a certain 1960s supermodel.

No comments:

Post a Comment