Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What Mighty Contests Rise From Trivial Things

We won trivia night tonight, my fourth U of C victory, calling ourselves the LeBron James Witness Protection Program because Inglouorious MAPHers no longer cut it. We won with the All-Star Game playing in the background, paying tribute to George Steinbrenner (more tomorrow) and prompting the S.O. to ask me what on earth was going on, and as I explained to her the concept of the All-Star Game and the World Series home-field advantage, she said, "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard." The S.O., by the way, helped us pick up 37 points and a perfect round thanks to her knowledge of sailing, sundial construction, and scientific names for fever…God, am I a lucky devil! Also on the scene were the Voice, Little Miss Sunshine in her long-awaited Trivia Night debut, and showing up late but stepping in when we needed them, the Earth Mother and the Creator Of Worlds (and when he reads this blog I think he'll get a kick out of being the C.O.W.). To my joy, they also just signed a lease in Hyde Park for next year, meaning I'll be surrounded by the very best of company. Coupled with nine job applications and a good talk with Mommy, this was definitely a good day. Although any day I get to see the S.O. smile is a good day. And nobody still knows about my nationally-televised past at the Pub. They might sue me one day, but I'll look back at thirty-dollar paydays with pride even if I make a fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment